Making a reservation & payment

How do I make a reservation?

Reservations cannot be confirmed and prices may change till payment is made. Australia Expat Travel completes all the reservations on your behalf. As part of our communications, we will indicate to you the deposit required in order to secure your holiday booking.

Best way to proceed is to complete our payment/credit card authority form, print & sign. Please click on this link to begin. please click (link to payments pdf). Australia Expat Travel recommends either of the following methods to send your information securely:

  1. Phone: Complete the form with the exception of (card type, card number, expiry date, verification code), sign, then scan & email to [email protected]. Australia Expat Travel will then call you to get your credit card details over the phone. We will then ensure all reasonable secure methods are used when making bookings with the third party providers to confirm your holiday.
  2. Dropbox: If you use Dropbox, or any other of the numerous file-sharing services, you can share the document instead of sending it via e-mail. Dropbox uses modern encryption methods to both transfer and store your data such as Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) and AES-256 bit encryption. Complete the form in full, sign, then scan & save in Dropbox. Share a link to the completed payment form file by either emailing or texting the link to: [email protected] or +61 439 204084. For more information please click: https://www.dropbox.com/help/167 . We will then ensure all reasonable secure methods are used when making bookings with the third party providers to confirm your holiday.

For providers that do not require an immediate deposit your credit card number will be supplied as security for the booking. Your card is not debited until arrival. Please check names on itinerary to ensure that they are correct as per your passports. It is a lot easier to change names at this stage, rather than after bookings have been made.

How much deposit do I need to pay?

The deposit required is dependent upon the providers requirements involved in your specific itinerary. You will be informed of the deposit amount as well as whether there are any further payments required prior to travel…also any outstanding amounts payable upon arrival. A statement will be provided clearly displaying payments made, payments outstanding and when payments are due.

Can I pay by cash or cheque?

Credit Card payment is the only accepted payment option.

Can I pay in another currency?

Currencies may vary depending on the providers used for your holiday booking. Generally payment will be processed in AUD unless indicated otherwise. Payment may be processed in your own currency depending on your choice of credit card.

Are my credit card details secure?

Australia Expat Travel values the security of all your personal information. It is important with your credit card detail that this is communicated only via one of the options highlighted above (phone or Dropbox). Australia Expat Travel then stores this information securely. Your credit card details are used only for the purposes of securing/payment for your holiday as agreed by you.

Can I use more than one credit card?

Yes, you can use a number of credit cards if you wish. The providers for your booking sometimes only accept some credit card types – this will be communicated at time of booking.

Are there additional charges for using a credit card to pay?

Where Credit card surcharges apply, this will be highlighted with your quotation.

What do I receive as confirmation for my holiday booking?

All bookings are a confirmed with a Final Itinerary which quotes all confirmation numbers, tour provider contact details and booking details. Your Final Itinerary also includes Australia Expat Travel contact details, destination information, activity information, payment status indicating monies paid and monies outstanding.

Visa requirements

Do I need a visa to visit Australia?

Yes. It is mandatory to have a valid visa to enter Australia. To apply for a visa entry to Australia please visit http://www.eta.immi.gov.au/ and you can complete this application for an electronic travel authority online. It is quick and easy to do. It is recommended you apply at least 2 weeks prior to travel. The criteria for applying for an eVisitor (Electronic visa) is you must be outside of Australia to use this service, you have an eligible passport (please refer to above website to determine eligibility) and you are intending to visit Australia temporarily. An eVisitor visa is valid for 12 months from date of issue.

If your passport is not eligible to use the eVisitor service you will need to visit the local Australia consulate in your country to organise your Visa.

Do I need a visa to visit New Zealand?

Most visitors to New Zealand do not require a visa to enter for the purpose of a holiday or vacation under a visa waiver program. Please click to see if you are eligible for the visa waiver: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/visit/visitors/quickcheck.htm. If you do need a visa to visit New Zealand then you should contact the New Zealand consulate in your home country. We can assist with this process by providing a copy of your booked itinerary if required.
NOTE – travelling via Australia – nearly all visitors to Australia require a visa to enter, even if you are only in transit.

Passport Validity

What passport information do I need to check prior to travel?

Your passport has to be current in order to travel, and your passport has to contain some blank pages. In addition, please be aware that most countries require travellers to have at least six months validity remaining on their passports beyond the period of intended stay. Immigration authorities may refuse entry if you arrive with less than this. Airlines and passenger shipping lines may refuse to carry you if your passport has inadequate validity.

Travel Insurance

Do I need travel insurance?

Australia Expat Travel highly recommends you have Travel Insurance for your holiday. Essentially travel insurance covers you from the date of your departure until your return for any unforeseen circumstances: illness/lost luggage/airlines run late so you miss connections/strikes/medical requirements in transit or in Australia. Australia Expat Travel is happy to provide travel insurance for your holiday.

Travelling in Australia or New Zealand

Do you tip or give gratuities?

Gratuities and tipping in both Australia & New Zealand are not compulsory nor expected. However, it is accepted if you feel that you have received good service.

What is the legal age to drink alcohol?

The legal age to drink or purchase alcohol is 18 years or over in both Australia and New Zealand.

Where do I get a local SIM card upon arrival?

It is important that you check your phone has been unlocked/opened to enable use of foreign SIMs prior to your departure. We recommend you consider purchasing a local SIM card at the airport upon arrival. The staff at the airport are well used to helping international visitors with the right choice of pre-paid SIM for your holiday.

Australia: Look out for the following telco shops Telstra/Vodafone/Optus. My recommendation is Telstra as they have the best coverage in Australia.

New Zealand: Look out for the following shops NZ Telecom/2Degrees/Vodafone

Can I expect fast & free Wi-Fi at my accommodations?

Many accommodation providers still charge an hourly fee for Wi-Fi access. Some offer Wi-Fi access free of charge, and this will be highlighted in your accommodation description if this is the case. It is reasonable to expect that if you are visiting a remote or country location that your internet access is likely to be non-existent or slower than in the major cities.

What should I pack?

Pack clothes that travel well and can be added and removed in layers to adjust to the conditions. Packing a rain/wind proof jacket would be recommended, all year round if you are visiting southern Australia and New Zealand. Don’t forget to pack a hat to protect you from our sun – the UV is particularly strong in both Australia and New Zealand. Also, consider packing a beach towel for each person as a lot of accommodation providers do not provide these

Driving in Australia or New Zealand

What sort of driving licence do I need?

Renters must present their current foreign Driver’s License. To drive in Australia or New Zealand you need to have a current and valid driving licence that is printed in English. If it is issued in a language other than English, it must be accompanied by a certified English translation of the license or a current international driver’s permit. Both the International Drivers Permit and the driver’s national driver’s license must be presented at the time of rental.

What is the minimum age to drive a rental vehicle?

The usual minimum age to rent or drive a rental vehicle is 25.

Which side of the road do you drive on?

In both Australia & New Zealand we drive on the left hand side of the road.

What are the car seat regulations?

Children 7 and under are required to be in a belted car seat. For further detail please refer to the following websites: https://www.childcarseats.com.au/legal-requirements  http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/factsheets/07/child-restraints.html

What are the driving rules?

Australia: Please click on the following link if you would like to familiarise yourself with the Australia driving rules prior to arrival: http://www.australia.com/en/planning/road-safety.html  http://www.australia.gov.au/content/driving-with-an-overseas-licence

New Zealand: Please click on the following link if you would like to familiarise yourself with the NZ driving rules prior to arrival: http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/roadcode/road-code-index.html


What happens if I have to cancel my booking?

You can cancel your holiday booking at any time for any reason however please be aware that cancellations fees and costs may apply. Accommodation and other third party providers may have cancellation policies that impart fees for cancellations anytime inside 90 days of arrival. This applies particularly in peak time. With this in mind please be aware that cancelling your holiday or making major changes is likely to incur fees. As almost every property, activity and other business may have different rules and conditions please ask if you would like to be made aware of each of these for your holiday.  We strongly advise that you purchase travel insurance that will hopefully cover you for cancellation and interruption costs.

Information on content on this site

All content contained on this site is provided for informational purposes only. Australia Expat Travel may modify all tour itineraries, prices, dates, hotels, departures, destinations and availability of the foregoing at any time without notice. Content retrieved from this site shall not be copied or reproduced without the express permission of Australia Expat Travel. The information on this website is correct at the time of publishing.